Save the Date: Barrel-Aged Beer Day Returns October 7, 2016
Join the conversation on social media via the #BABeerDay hashtag, or get the Untappd badge by checking in to any barrel-aged beer from The Bruery & Bruery Terreux during the first week of October.
Barrel-aged Beer Day is an opportunity to appreciate the time, energy, and love that goes into a barrel as it rests for months, to years, waiting for the perfect time to shine. This is a celebration of the unique and flavorful beers that can only be achieved thanks to the beauty of the barrel.
The Bruery & Bruery Terreux collectively house over 3,969 active oak vessels. These vessels range in size from 53 gallon bourbon barrels, to 132 gallon puncheons, to two 250 BBL foeders (which hold 7,750 gallons each)! That’s 6,000 BBLs (or 186,000 gallons) of delicious beer resting in wood, for anywhere from 6 months to 2.5 years, just waiting to be aged, tested, blended, and bottled.
But we’re not the only ones crafting barrel-aged gems. Many craft breweries beyond our county, state, and national borders have barrel-aging programs that run the gamut from nascent to internationally-recognized.
The barrel has become a sought-after addition for craft brewers looking to develop their portfolio. “Since last year we have seen a huge surge in demand for bourbon barrels in the beer industry. I looked back at our sales from 2013 and 2014 and we have increased by over 300% since then,” shares William Hornaday of Kelvin Cooperage, a family-owned barrel cooperage based in Louisville, KY.
“Sales numbers have spiked dramatically and that is not solely from our existing customers growth … My best estimate is that we currently supply 50+ breweries and we are always getting calls from new guys. Most of these customers are small volume (anywhere from a couple barrels a year to 20 or 30), but we have some core customers taking thousands of barrels per year and their numbers continue to increase with each new year.”
These special beers certainly deserve their own international holiday.
Whether it’s a bourbon barrel-aged barleywine, a barrel-fermented funk bomb, a Scotch whisky barrel-aged Scotch Ale, a fruity foeder-aged sour, or a Hungarian oak-aged wine & beer hybrid, raise a snifter with us as we celebrate the beautiful spectrum of flavors that can be enjoyed on Barrel-Aged Beer Day!
The Bruery & Bruery Terreux distribute several barrel-aged beers available in limited quantities throughout the year. You can find our beers at craft beer specialty shops, bars, and restaurants in our distributed states of AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NV, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, WA, WI.
Keep an eye out for these once-a-year beers at a craft beer spot near you:
From The Bruery: Melange No 14, Melange No 15 (SoCal only), Mash & Vanilla, Poterie 8th Anniversary Ale, White Oak, So Happens It’s Tuesday and more.
From Bruery Terreux: Beret, Tart of Darkness, Quadrupel Tonnellerie, Sour in the Rye, Oude Tart, Rueuze, Frucht variants (select & varying markets)
The Bruery & Bruery Terreux October 7th events
Barrel-Aged Beer Day at The Bruery & Bruery Terreux Tasting Rooms
• The first public bottle release of two annual barrel-aged releases
• Special event glassware on sale
• Barrel-aged specialties on draft
Barrel-Aged Beer Day archive sale on TheBrueryStore.com
Barrel-Aged Beer Day Orange County
• Dinner with The Bruery & Bruery Terreux staff at The Playground: Tickets on sale now
• Three unique dinner seatings feature barrel-aged beers from Stone Brewing Co., Modern Times, Firestone Walker, and more
• Barrel-aged rarities also available on draft and to-go
Barrel-Aged Beer Day Los Angeles
• Five simultaneous tappings of The Bruery & Goat Group Collaboration “Buff BBLs” — a single batch blend of Black Tuesday, White Oak Sap, and Mash each aged in Buffalo Trace barrels, with vanilla and nutmeg added.
• Tappings will be at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood and Encino, The Blind Donkey in Pasadena and Long Beach, and Verdguo Bar in Glassell Park.
• Meet staff from The Bruery & Bruery Terreux at Verdugo Bar, where additional Famille Rue barrel-aged rarities will be available on draft.
Barrel-Aged Beer Day at the Great American Beer Festival
• Sample Chocolate Rain, The Wanderer and other barrel-aged specialties at our fest booth
• Sample Dodie and Confession inside the Paired pavilion
• Collectable #BABeerDay pins at The Bruery & Bruery Terreux booths
More details to come on all events as October 7th nears!
Download #BABeerDay marketing assets for your own event via the #BABeerDay marketing kit complete with logos, posters, flyers, social graphics and more.
The post Save the Date: Barrel-Aged Beer Day Returns October 7, 2016 appeared first on The Bruery.