Shake (or Stir) up a La Capilla-Based Cocktail
When it comes to our beers, it shouldn't surprise you that we get inspired by pretty much everything: food, places, styles, stories, and of course, cocktails. We decided to flip it around this time, and make a Paloma-inspired cocktail with this Paloma cocktail-inspired beer. (Leave it to The Bruery to give you a nice brain teaser with your beer.)
Part of The Famille
One of the best parts of the beer and beverage industry is the friendships we build with other makers. In this case, though, we looked no further than our own Famille – we brought in Chloe Paul, master beverage consultant and fiancée of Brewing Supervisor Justin "J-Rad" Radel, to craft a cocktail using our tequila barrel-aged La Capilla. She surprised us with not one but TWO delicious recipes, just in time for World Paloma Day on 05.22.22.
Chloe Paul – master bartender, talented beverage consultant, and friend of The Famille.
It wouldn't be a Bruery blog post if we didn't talk up the liquid. La Capilla is a tequila barrel-aged sour blonde ale inspired by the bright flavors of the Paloma cocktail, and named for the bar in Mexico that invented it. We added grapefruit and lime to mimic the flavors of the cocktail. The tart, slightly acidic flavors are beautifully balanced with bright citrus and slight heat from time in tequila barrels.
While La Capilla is a treat in and of itself, it turns out, it makes a pretty great cocktail base, too!
La Capilla is the perfect finish on both of these delicious cocktails.
When we asked Chloe to build a cocktail using La Capilla, she was thrilled at the challenge, and far exceeded our expectations with two cocktails, homemade ingredients, and incredible flavor. Below are the cocktail recipes to try for yourself!
- 2–3 dashes hopped grapefruit bitters
- 0.75oz lime juice
- 1.75oz shrub (pineapple & grapefruit juice, white wine vinegar, and grapefruit and pineapple cordial syrup)
- 1oz blanco tequila
- 2oz La Capilla
- Jamaica foam: pineapple juice, xanthum gum powder, hibiscus simple syrup, La Capilla
- Rim: chamoy, tajin
- Garnish: pineapple leaves, dehydrated pineapple ring, dehydrated lime wheel
- Jarrito de barro glass
- Rim with chamoy and tajin
- Combine bitters, lime juice, shrub, and tequila in shaker with ice
- Shake & single strain
- Top with La Capilla and Jamaica foam
- Garnish with two pineapple leaves, pineapple ring, and lime wheel
- 2 dashes of chocolate Mole bitters
- 0.25oz Hibiscus and lime zest infused agave
- 1.5oz Blanco Tequila
- La Capilla
- Double Old Fashioned (DOF) glass
- Combine bitters, agave infusion, and tequila
- Add ice and stir for 6 seconds
- Pour over ice and top with La Capilla
- Garnish with expressed grapefruit peel
Chloe's cocktail-building methods are not unlike our own— innovative, experimental, and utterly delicious.
Thank you to Chloe Paul for her expertise and time— let us know if you want to see more cocktail recipes from Chloe with future releases!